Nobody works around here! That's because if you find a position you love with an organization that will support you, you will never work a day in your life. Discover Classical 88.1 & 89.9FM is seeking a dynamic individual to join our family as the head of its Programming Department. The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of classical music, a firm grasp of today's media landscape, and a record of leadership, able to manage all aspects of the station's programming.
Discover Classical 88.1 & 89.9FM
Located in Dayton, Ohio, Discover Classical is one of the few remaining non-commercial, 24-hour classical music stations in the United States. Classical music is our mission and passion. A voice for the classical music/fine arts community in Dayton, the station has evolved over its 30-year history to two full-time terrestrial signals, and serves a growing audience for classical music around the country, and around the world. The station carries zero debt, and has boasted an operating surplus for five years running.
WDPR/WDPG is community-licensed, with no affiliation to a college/university or public TV station. We are proud to be an independent, listener-supported public radio station fully devoted to classical music and fine arts information. The staff devotes its time/energy to promoting classical music, guiding the listener on their journey of discovering classical music.
The birthplace of the Wright Brothers, "The Gem City" has a rich history of innovation, education, and the arts. Boasting a full-time professional orchestra, ballet, and opera companies, as well as the Benjamin & Marian Schuster Center and Victoria Theatre, Dayton doesn't lack for the performing arts. The Dayton Art Institute, Dayton Visual Arts Center, and flourishing arts programs at University of Dayton, Wright State University, and other institutions exhibit the community's ongoing support of the visual arts, as well. Among "America's Most Affordable Cities" (Forbes), Dayton is also home to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and The United States Air Force Museum, a reflection of Dayton's historical role in aviation.
The staff of Discover Classical work in a collaborative atmosphere. Creativity is encouraged and a "can-do" attitude is valued. "That's not my job" is not in our vocabulary. The Program Director's key duties include:
• Host a daily classical music program
• Oversee/coach/develop air staff
• Manage operations, contracts, budget, and records as required by FCC, IRS, CPB and other agencies
• Create and execute a plan for gaining and retaining listeners, both online and terrestrial.
• Manage/direct/produce on-air fundraising campaigns.
• Collaborate with management team in formulating short-term and long-term plans
• Assist in the planning/organization/execution of special events.
• Represent the station at outside events.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience
• 5 years of combined education/experience in Radio Hosting/Programming. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
• A comprehensive knowledge of classical music, its history, styles, and performers.
• A proven self-starter, manager, and achiever.
• Excellent organizational and communications skills.
• Knowledge of Musicmaster software a plus.
• Experience with design software, esp. Microsoft Suite, Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Candidates must be adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including occasional evening and weekend work.
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, audio samples, and three professional references with contact information. E-mail application materials to email@example.com, or mail to
Discover Classical 88.1 & 89.9FM
126 N. Main St., Ste.110
Dayton, OH 45402
No phone calls, please.
Deadline: Open until filled. Immediate consideration will be given to applications received by February 3, 2017.
Dayton Public Radio Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity in the workplace. Women and minorities are highly encouraged to apply.